Pashley Speed 5 1930s Racing Bike - 20.5" Frame
Pashley Speed 5 1930s Racing Bike - 20.5" Frame
The Speed 5 is Pashley's tribute to the heyday of gentlemanly British cycle racing. This was a time when riders would come together in the noble pursuit of record-breaking times with only the satisfaction and thrill of success for reward. It embodies all that was great about this era, allowing you to follow in the footsteps of these men in your own exciting cycling endeavours.
The British racing green and gold colour scheme hints at this heritage, as does the frame-mounted number plate, while the traditionally slack frame geometry gives a dynamic riding position for maximum speed and performance. This sense of lineage is bolstered by hand-built quality. Every Speed 5 is meticulously constructed by Pashley's dedicated craftsmen from legendary Reynolds 531 steel to produce a bicycle that will last a lifetime.
The quality of construction is matched by the components chosen for this special cycle. The wide diameter Sturmey Archer hub brakes allow you to brake late for corners and have ultimate control over your speed, and the classic Brooks Swift leather saddle gradually forms to your shape for a high level of comfort and range of movement.
The Speed 5 is not simply a revival of path racing tradition but an advancement of the sport, embodying the principles of the early pioneers with a refined design they would be truly proud of.
You're covered by Pashley's manufacturer's warranty on new bicycles and our own commitment to ensuring your cycling adventures are trouble-free.
- Historic racing frame with dynamic riding position: Authentic 1930s Path Racer frame with a long stable wheelbase and relaxed steering geometry, suited cycling and gravel racing! With traditional frame-mounted race number plate. The frame is hand-built using traditional methods - with original lightweight Reynolds 531 tubing hand-brazed into - for the attention to detail that only a frame crafted by hand can possess. With traditional tubular crown forks and specially formed D section stays.
- Brass ‘ping’ bell: A classic bell that is a refined addition to any bicycle. The bell has a domed shape body with a finger mechanism that sounds out a clear ‘ting’ to let others know you're approaching. The bell can be attached to either the handlebars or the stem.
- Classic hub gears: With an gear lever, they allow you to tackle hills and glide along gracefully on flatter terrain with ease. Fully enclosed gear system that requires minimal maintenance.
- Powerful fully-enclosed 90mm hub brakes: Large diameter hub-brakes provide reliable stopping power come rain or shine. Enclosed and sealed from all-weathers, these brakes are low maintenance and robust.
- Iconic GB wingnuts: Adds to the Speed 5's authenticity and makes removal of the wheels that little bit easier. Manufactured in England using the original tooling.
- Classic tyres with puncture protection: a reliable tyre with a puncture protection insert, and a tread design that allows for secure contact with the road surface but with a low rolling resistance.
- Traditional Brooks 'Swift' leather saddle: The handsome 'Swift' is a gentleman's racing saddle with delicately hand-skived lower sides for greater comfort whilst pedalling. The leather allows the saddle to breathe and form to your shape over time becoming uniquely comfortable. It's finished with large hand-beaten copper and comes with handy loops on the rear for luggage attachment.
- Pedals with traditional toe clips and leather straps: keep your feet in place, helping to transfer your pedal-power more efficiently.
- Golden half-link chain: design and tough construction to transfer powerful cadence.
|Colours||British Racing Green/Gold|
|Gears||Sturmey Archer 5 speed C50 hub gear with thumb shifter control.|
|Frame||Traditional lugged and brazed construction with authentic 1930s geometry. Scalloped lugs and Reynolds 531 butted tubes. Individually hand-built.|
|Fork||Tubular crown, hand brazed.|
|Saddle||Brooks black Swift natural leather saddle with chromed steel rails.|
|Handlebar||Semi-drop bar on a forged alloy quill stem.|
|Brakes||Sturmey Archer all-weather, low maintenance front (90mm) and rear (70mm) hub brakes.|
|Wheels||Gold lined black alloy Westwood rims with stainless steel spokes.|
|Tyres||28x1 1/2" Black Schwalbe Delta Cruiser tyres with puncture protection.|
|Pedals||Alloy body with toe clips and black leather straps.|
|Crankset||Sugino polished alloy crankset (46T, 170mm) with guard.|
|Other Features||Micro-adjust alloy seatpost, brass bell, GB anti-slip diamond patterned silcone back handlebar tape, golden chain, Race number, GB wingnuts.|
|Frames Sizes||Small (20.5"), Medium (22.5") or Large (24.5" - double top tube frame).|
Bicycles, tricycles and e-bikes
We deliver our bicycles all over Aotearoa New Zealand ourselves for a few reasons; we like to ensure your bicycle arrives in perfect condition and we also want you to be able to ride it immediately. We set your seat and handlebar height so you can ride comfortably and we listen and respond to any questions you have. We like to ensure we are minimising our fuel use and pollution so we like to schedule the most efficient delivery plan possible. That’s why it may take a month or two to get your bicycle to you. Please check our Delivery page for more information and to view our next scheduled delivery to your area.
We will despatch your purchase the same day or next day and we will email you courier tracking information so you know exactly where your package is. We try, wherever possible, to use recycled or compostable packaging. For all orders, we charge $9.90 towards the cost of the courier.