Buddyrider Bicycle Pet Seat
Buddyrider Bicycle Pet Seat
Now the joy of cycling isn’t limited to creatures with two legs!
With the Buddyrider® Pet Seat, your four-legged best friend sits comfortably and safely strapped in front of you, making the riding experience highly enjoyable for both of you. The seat has been engineered to fit almost any modern adult bicycle with a measurement of at least 48cm between the seat post and the handlebar stem.
Centre-mounted seats for children, and now for pets, have proven to be far superior to those mounted behind the bicycle seat or on the handlebars. They give the rider much better control because the extra weight is positioned over the centre of the bicycle.
Being able to see your buddy at all times is a bonus!
Before attempting to ride with your little buddy, you may want to get them comfortable in the seat first while it is on the ground. Try treats to entice them to sit in the Buddyrider if they hesitate to get in. Enjoy and have fun!
Please read all instructions and safety information carefully before placing a pet in this seat. Better still, visit us in our Greytown emporium and we will install the Buddyrider for you, making sure it is safe and secure for you and your pet.
Note: The Buddyrider cannot be installed on a carbon fibre seat post. It is designed only for aluminium or steel seat posts.
Check all parts are included.
Assemble the seat by raising the front platform and securing the centre support
arm with the blue screw and one of the washers. Be sure not to overtighten.
Attach the harness as shown. Clips will be in front and behind the neck, and connected to the Buddyrider via the straps on the sides.
Leave collar unclipped for now.
Attach the receiver to your bicycle seat post. There must be at least 4.5cm of post exposed below the seat to make this connection.
Keep this connection as high up the seat post as possible. This will give the rider more legroom when peddling.
Insert metal support arm, flat section up, into the receiver. Secure with the quick release pin as shown.
Position the seat on the arm as far forward as possible without interfering with your handle bars or steering post.
Mark this position with a small pencil mark on the bar behind the pet seat. Remove the pet seat and then remove the metal support arm from the bike using the quick release pin.
Position the pet seat as close to the pencil mark as possible while lining up the holes. Using the four red screws and washers provided, mount the pet seat to the metal bar.
Make sure all four screws are in position before tightening.
Be sure not to overtighten.
Install the assembled pet seat to the bicycle using the quick release pin and be sure to secure that with the cotter pin provided or a small pad lock.
Once the harness is attached to the Buddyrider, place your pet in the seat, connect the two clips and adjust as needed.
Now, this is where we need to make you aware of the inherent dangers associated with transporting animals in a seat attached to a bicycle. While the Buddyrider is engineered for safety and its position over the centre of the bicycle ensures an even load distribution, only experienced and confident adult riders should attempt to transport an animal in this way.
The Buddyrider is intended for pleasure riding only, if you partake in extreme cycling with your buddy on board you run a greater risk of mishap and injury.
Here's some stuff you need to know:
- The Buddyrider must be installed according to the instructions provided.
- The Buddyrider must not be mounted to a carbon fibre seat post. It is designed for aluminium or steel seat posts only.
- The Buddyrider is designed for dogs weighing up to 11.5kg (25 pounds) and bicycles with at least 48cm between the seat post and the handlebar stem.
- Your pet must be secured in the seat harness at all times (see installation instructions). Just like a seat belt on a child car seat, this harness is designed to limit unnecessary movement so your pet remains in a safe position to enjoy the ride.
- Prior to use, check the seat is secure on the bicycle and no parts, screws or bolts are cracked, loose, missing, or broken.
- Due to the size and weight associated with transporting a pet on a bicycle, extreme care must be taken at all times. The rider may be required to make quick corrective action when the pet moves its weight.
- Care should be taken when placing your pet into the seat, and removing them from it. This should be done in a safe place away from distractions such as other pets and traffic.
- Initial rides should be brief, over smooth ground, in a safe location and away from all distractions. Increase the duration only when both rider and pet become accustomed and confident.
- Never leave a pet unattended in this seat. Due to the higher centre of gravity, a bicycle may fall over if parked on its stand or without proper support.
- Do not allow your pet to become a distraction when riding. Keep your focus on the safe operation of your bicycle, the rules of the road, the environment around you and other cyclists, pedestrians and vehicles.
Bicycles, tricycles and e-bikes
We deliver our bicycles all over Aotearoa New Zealand ourselves for a few reasons; we like to ensure your bicycle arrives in perfect condition and we also want you to be able to ride it immediately. We set your seat and handlebar height so you can ride comfortably and we listen and respond to any questions you have. We like to ensure we are minimising our fuel use and pollution so we like to schedule the most efficient delivery plan possible. That’s why it may take a month or two to get your bicycle to you. Please check our Delivery page for more information and to view our next scheduled delivery to your area.
We will despatch your purchase the same day or next day and we will email you courier tracking information so you know exactly where your package is. We try, wherever possible, to use recycled or compostable packaging. For orders under $200, we charge $9.90 towards the cost of the courier. For $200 or more, we cover it.